A great office space is about keeping your people happy, productive and working towards the key goals of your business.
An office is more than a place to put your desks, it is the heart of your business and the space where your people will spend most of their working day. Your office needs to create the right atmosphere for your people and inspire productivity.
A great workspace motivates your team
Engaged employees make their organizations 17% more productive and 21% more profitable, according to Gallup’s State of the Global Workplace report. And keeping your people engaged and motivated is a core aim of your workspace design.
There are some key universal traits that any good workspace will need if your aim is to boost team motivation, productivity levels and, ultimately, profitability.
A good workspace will include:
- Flexible working options – A good office space should be an environment that's conducive to different types of work. If staff have different roles, and carry out different activities throughout the day, a mix of quiet spaces, communal areas, private meeting rooms and breakout space for catch-ups can cater for this.
- Access to drinks and refreshments – Somewhere for staff to rehydrate, refuel and stay productive. Offer free coffee and tea. A bowl of fruit or healthy snacks is a nice way to support time-poor employees who don’t have time to head out.
- Privacy when it’s required – The seclusion of a meeting room is great for making for private calls, having team meetings or carrying out one-on-one conversations with employees and fellow directors.
- Space to relax and kick back – outside of the usual working day, a more social space in the office provides somewhere where people can hang out and enhance the social side of the team. The ‘creative agency with a foosball table’ has become a slight cliche, but having a space with comfortable furniture and recreational activities can be a real plus for many employees.
- Great branding and design – The design of the workspace isn’t just about the choice of paint colour; it’s about creating an aesthetic and ergonomic design that reflects your brand personality, but also works as a highly effective space for your people. A professionally designed and branded workspace can have a huge impact on how your staff and customers perceive your company.
Enhancing your workspace
If you’re looking to refresh your office space, think about the elements that will improve the experience for your staff and your customers. A successful office revamp makes everyone happy and boosts productivity.